dh and I were planning on taking a belated honeymoon this year. We threw around a whole bunch of ideas from London, to New England, to a cruise, to Williamsburg and New York. The lat one is the one that we ended up settling on, and through some stuff that I cannot remember, I discovered that colonial Williamsburg encourages guests to come dressed up. What more do I need? In the end we won’t be going to CW this year, but we’ll get there eventually and making things up while Dh is deployed keeps me entertained.
So I started doing some research, and as usual, I’m starting with the foundations. When I made my regency short stays I found that the front edge of the straps cut into my arms (probably an easy fix, but not something I want to tackle right now) and so I decided to avoid any other stays that have straps, at least for now. I also need to be able to move my arms, my children are not always willing to behave well enough to where I don’t need a full range of motion.
I am using JP Ryan’s full-boned stays pattern. Since this is my first foray into the 18th century I got a kit making kit from the silly sisters. They were extremely helpful in answering my myriad questions.
I made myself wait to start on them until after I finished our things for the civil war weekend, and with that over, I finally started on them today.
Awhile back I made a cardboard ‘muslin’ since a few blogs suggested it.
It seemed to work well, smooshed my bosom and widened my waist, sounds about right!
And then I waited, it’s been around 2 months since I made the mockup.
Next up are the boning channels. I’m using 1/4″ reed, doubled, and skipping the metal bones. I can always add them later if I find that I need them.